Installing Ceramic Tile – the best choice to give unique look to your place
This is the first time you are installing a ceramic floor, and you have a lot of questions that have remained unanswered? We have unearthed some tips and tricks for you that will be very useful to you in carrying out your renovation project. We start with a few questions related to ceramics as such, and then we guide you through the different stages of laying ceramic tiles. But first we will talk about the stages of laying Ceramics.
What are the stages of laying ceramic?
- Prepare the surface to make sure it is perfectly flat. If the floor is not level, you can use interior self-leveling cement that takes about 24 hours to set (accelerated drying) or fiber cement.
- Prepare the mortar according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Spread it on the sub-floor using a suitable trowel (the one recommended according to your sub-floor and the size of the tile). Note that it is essential to apply a lot of thin-set mortar over the entire surface.
- Carefully lay out each tile by installing spacers (for the distance between tiles), leveling shims, and leveling flanges (so that the tiles are all the same height).
- Install the finishing moldings simultaneously as you install the ceramic because a part of them will fit under the ceramic.
- Once the thin-set mortar has dried, remove the leveling shims by tapping firmly with your foot.
- Apply the grout, pressing down to inject the grout inside the joint. Remove any excess as you go with a damp sponge. Several types of grout are available depending on your project. Get the best product here at magasin Céramique au Sommet.
Is the ceramic resistant?
Ceramic or porcelain tiles are dense, water-resistant, but above all, very resistant to wear. It is a product that will last for years, and it is more a question of fashion that will push you to replace it. This is the reason why they are often found in hallways, kitchens, and bathrooms. As ceramic requires little maintenance, this makes it a flooring of choice.
The lappato finish is characterized by a semi-gloss finish and a non-uniform texture. It is usually between polished and mast. For its design, tiles with a Lappato finish are used by several chemical processes to give them that unique texture and reflection. The alterations caused by this treatment on the material make the enamel of this type of ceramic stand out more.