We all want to have clear, perfect skin. Having great skin doesn’t only depend in genetics. Genetics only counts for ten per cent, while the other ninety per cent is due to external factors and the care we give to the skin. Skin food or the nutrients we eat such as vitamins and minerals play an essential role in how the skin looks and behaves.
As you might know, to achieve better skin, there are several factors that you have to take notice of:
1- Don’t fry your skin in the sun
2- Don’t smoke
3- Stress is a no-no
4- A healthy and balanced diet is a must
5- Keep drinking water
6- Keep moisturizing
7- Be naughty now and then…
Why food for clear skin is important for the skin? Because the skin’s cells are renewing every twenty eight days, it needs a constant supply of nutrients which are essential for the growth and appearance of the skin. When the skin receives all the nutrients it needs, it will look healthier and plumper. Hydration is also necessary for the skin. As well as getting the water from the food we eat such as fruits and vegetables, is also recommended to drink at least six glasses of water a day.
The following skin food is essential for a healthy and glowing skin:
– Monounsaturated fats- Lower cholesterol. We can find them in avocado and nut and olive oil.
– Polyunsaturated fats- Lower cholesterol. We can find them in vegetable oils, fish, and nuts.
– Vitamin E- Is a vitamin with great antioxidant power, helping to neutralize free radicals, preventing aging skin. We can find this skin food in vegetable oils, whole meal cereals and green vegetables.
Clear skin foods for you skin: Vitamins
– Pro-vitamin A or beta carotene- It is transform in vitamin A in the organism and has a great antioxidant action. We can find it in green leafy vegetables and red, orange or yellow vegetables and fruits.
– Vitamin A- It is essential for skin regeneration. Vitamin A is only present in food of animal origin such as liver, egg yolk and dairy.
– Lycopene- Is an antioxidant pigment which gives the tomato its color. It’s present in tomato, water melon, pink grapefruit, apricots…
– Vitamin C- Powerful antioxidant action, which is essential for collagen production. We can find this skin food in fresh fruits and vegetables such as peppers, citrus, strawberries, tomatoes, kiwis…
– Folic acid or vitamin B9- Helps with cellular renovation. Is present mainly in leaf green vegetables, fruits, fortify cereals, liver and green legumes.
– Vitamin B2 or riboflavin- Helps to convert carbohydrates into energy. Prevents and treats cataracts, rheumatoid arthritis and some skin disorders. We can find it in dairy, eggs, meat, fish, liver, legumes…
– Vitamin B3 or niacin- Helps to control blood sugar levels and with the nervous and digestive systems. Good to maintain a healthy skin. Vitamin B3 is present in red meat, poultry, fish, fortified cereals, and dry fruit.
– Vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid- This skin food is good for healthy skin and hair. Helps lower = cholesterol. Takes part in the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fatty acids. Vitamin B5 present in eggs, fresh vegetables, legumes, liver, nuts, red meat, and whole wheat.
– Vitamin B6 or pyridoxine- Takes part on the metabolism of zinc, a mineral that forms part of the epidermis, which is the top layer of the skin. Is present in oily fish, meat, eggs, and nuts, fortify cereals, bananas, spinach.
Food for healthy skin: Minerals
– Selenium- Mineral with antioxidant action, which protects the organism from several diseases such as skin cancer, heart conditions, asthma, arthritis, diabetes, cataracts…Is present in meat, fish, seafood, cereals, eggs, fruits and vegetables.
– Zinc- Forms part of the epidermis. Supports a healthy immune system, is essential for wound healing, cell reproduction and tissue growth. We can find it in meat, fish, and eggs, fortify cereals, and grains.
– Iron- A lack of this mineral can cause pale skin and anemia. Iron is present in red meat, fish, eggs, nuts, cereals, legumes, grains and leaf green vegetables.