Infants have gentle sensitive skin that is prone to a lot of ailments that can affect it. Their skin is very soft and is at a premature state of growth; any exposure to harsh factors could easily irritate the skin leading to soreness and inflammation. One of the skin problems seen in babies is associated with the use of diapers. It is impossible not to use diapers for your baby; it is needed to collect the stools and urine passed by the baby, to prevent them from leaking outside. However the constant use of diapers may lead to rash in the area covered by the diaper; this is a common problem that a great number of parents have to go through. They cannot discontinue the use of diapers so they will have to look for other ways to take care of the problem.
It is not only the diaper rash that can be a problem; your baby’s skin can develop a lot of other ailments such as heat rash, which is caused by high temperature in the surroundings, and eczema, which is another well-known condition that can be present in babies. To take care of all these problems, you are left with using various ointments and creams to treat the condition or else to prevent it from forming.
In the following we will be reviewing some of the best known products effective for rashes appearing in babies. These are designed for common problems faced by the baby’s skin and they consist of no harsh chemicals that can be quite adverse for the baby.
- Grandma El’s Diaper Rash Remedy and Prevention Tube. This ointment works as a remedy as well as a method of prevention for rash in babies. It has a soothing effect on affected skin, skin that is inflamed with redness and itchiness. It is quick to work on the skin; it is absorbed pretty much quickly. The direction for using this product is to use after every diaper change to protect against the formation of rash. During the diaper change you must clean the area then allow it to dry, then afterwards the ointment can be applied before putting on the new diaper.
This is not a cream that chokes the skin of air, which is not good at all and may in fact increase the chances of heat rash forming in the diaper area which is already a poorly ventilated area. This allows the baby to cool off in that area more easily. Also, this product doesn’t create any film of white messy paste on the skin; you cannot visibly see that it is there.
- California Baby Diaper Rash Cream 2.9 oz – Calming. Here is another product that is manufactured for use on babies without worry of any unwanted reaction. It can be used for diaper, as was mentioned in the name of the product, and also on cuts and burns that your baby may be unfortunate enough to get. It mainly works to prevent diaper rash by creating a moisture barrier on the skin in that area; this prevents the waste materials excreted by the baby to contact the skin and irritate it. It is also applies to any chemicals that may be present in the diapers itself, which includes any dyes or fragrant chemical.
One of the ingredients it has got is tea tree oil. This is effective antibacterial oil that can work as antiseptic to prevent the bacteria from thriving in the waste of the baby and produce any harmful toxins. French lavender is also one ingredient that is thought to have calming properties.
- Desitin Maximum Strength Paste (Pack of 2). It is a product that is very much effective for use on rashes and other skin inflammation. It has got very potent chemical agents to reduce irritation and redness in the skin. Namely the main chemical agent is zinc oxide, which is in great amounts in this ointment. This product is recommended by pediatricians to be effective for a wide range of skin conditions. This can be quite irritating if it gets to the eyes and it is toxin if taken internally, so care should be taken when using it. For these reasons you may think it is a prescription medicine, but actually it is not. This means you can easily get it during emergencies, when the rash symptoms flare up.
This also does create a protective barrier on the skin against moisture and other factors. It is rich thick formulae that will spread evenly on the skin to create an effective barrier to prevent the formation of rashes. It will be providing protection overnight after use.
- Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment. This product is for the treatment of dried out skin that is in the point of cracking and flaking. Dry skin is very easy to get damaged, leaving a scarred look on the skin. It is more likely to get dry skin when the weather is dry and cold, so it is usually a problem in winter. Your baby may develop dry skin along with rash that forms on various parts of the body. Use this to immediate take care of the dryness, to soothe the skin. It will bring a smooth and healthy looking skin which will be moisturized for a long time after use.
It is possible to use many of the products for babies for use with adults; it is true with this product too. It can be used to moisturize dry skin. Another thing it can be used for is to moisturize dry and cracking lips, which is something that is more prone to drying the skin.
- Desitin Rapid Relief Creamy. It is an effective product containing zinc oxide that works to reduce the inflammation and the various symptoms associated with rash. Though it is a strong chemical, zinc oxide is very effective against rash and it is safe enough for your babies to be recommended by pediatricians. This product shows its effect almost instantly on application; it will reduce the inflammation and soreness of the diaper rash in babies. Apart from treating rash, it will also form a protective barrier to keep off moisture and to prevent further occurrence of the rash. It also works as an emollient to soften the skin.
This consists of a creamy formula that is very easy to apply that can spread evenly on the diaper area of the baby. Furthermore it is a type of cream that is soft and that comes off very easily; you can remove it with a wipe if you have applied too much or it produces any adverse reaction on the baby.
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Angel Baby Bottom Balm, 2-Ounce Jar. One main thing about this product is that it consists of all organic products. There are no chemicals such as zinc oxide or any sulfate compounds; these chemicals may cause an allergic reaction in the baby and they leave a sticky residue on the skin that will not feel good at all. What this product is made up of is natural oils that are very safe on the skin and can be completely absorbed by it without leaving any residue. It is ideal for use on babies who have been having diaper rash for a long period of time; it reduces the likelihood of the rash becoming severe.
Besides working on the rash on babies, it can be used for a wide range of ailment that can affect the skin ranging from minor cuts, burns, scrapes, insect bites and even on chicken pox. It can be used by the whole family in the case of any of these.
- Triple Paste Medicated Ointment for Diaper Rash. This is a product that you can use as a last resort if all the other treatments for rash seem to fail; it is recommended by the health professionals as such. It is a hypoallergenic product, meaning it comes with no chemicals that could cause an allergic reaction on your baby’s skin. Also it got no fragrant agents that may itself cause irritation on the baby’s skin. It is the best treatment for the severe case of rash where it is very raw and inflamed; it works to sooth the rash to bring it to normal levels. Your baby will not stop crying until you do this to ease the discomfort brought on by the rash.
The product is guaranteed to work on the rash and also to prevent the formation of rash in the future. It is especially in a thick and dry form so its effects are very much concentrated; it will be useful for severe formation of rash.
- Dr. Smith’s Diaper Ointment, 8 ounce. This is another one of the products that is said to work against the diaper that contains zinc oxide as the main constituent; the percentage of zinc oxide is ten in this ointment. Although zinc oxide is an inorganic substance, it is alright to use it on baby rashes and it is agreed by pediatricians to be safe for use as well. It may be that you may need to use this product in case the rash gets out of control too much. While also taking care of any rash on the skin, this product also does the job of preventing the rash from spreading or being more pronounced.
In order to work well against the rashes on babies, this product is made very thick. The directions state that you apply it well on the skin to get the thick ointment to all parts of the skin. In case of any unwanted reaction wipe off the ointment immediately.
- Baby Bee Diaper Ointment. You can read 100% natural stamp on this product packaging. Staying true to that, it consists of natural substances only. One of the substances it is made of is beeswax; this may be why you see bees on this product’s packaging. This ingredient along with the almond oil it consists of acts to form a natural barrier for the baby’s skin that protects against the various factors that can cause rash in the baby. The product is also rich in chamomile which moisturizes the baby’s skin and keeps it hydrated and healthy for long.
It is a natural product that consists of very little chemicals and rather consists of natural substances. As such, it is free of potentially adverse chemicals such as paraben and phthalate. The ointment comes with both vitamin A and Vitamin E; both of them are essential nutrients for skin health. The application of the ointment will make sure you baby receives these nutrients directly to the skin.
- Diaper Rash & Thrush Relief. It is another one of the products that are made up of mostly organic products. This will be reassuring fact for parents as organic substances rarely causes irritation to the skin, so they can use it on their baby without worry. To prove this fact about this product you can look at the fact that it has zero toxicity rating on EWG database, and it is also certified to be made with 96% organic ingredients. It is an ideal herbal ointment for looking after diaper rash of your baby, for the persistent case of diaper rash that refuses to go away whatever you do.
Apart from use on rash, this product can be used on a yeast infection called thrush, as stated in the name of the product. This infection can appear on the diaper area where the yeast may be carried by the stools passed. Another use for this product is for soothing the nipples of breastfeeding mothers.
- Aveeno Baby Diaper Rash Cream, Fragrance Free, 3.7-Ounce Tube. This product from Aveeno has what it got to treat even the unmanageable cases of diaper rash. It is an unavoidable problem with the use of diapers in babies; many parents believe that it is a never ending problem. However, this product from Aveeno has got the organic ingredients and the inorganic ingredients to effectively ward off rash in the diaper area. It consists of zinc oxide which is an effective and pretty safe chemical that can fight off the rash, together with organic ingredients such as oat essence and natural willow herb that offers protection from the rash. The product is vastly useful in that it works on the rash quite immediately, so will be a good way to ease the rash should it get too raw. This cream works to sooth the rash, then heals it and in the future, prevents it from causing any discomfort to your baby.
- Calmoseptine diaper rash ointment tube – 4 oz, 6 pack. This ointment for diaper rash has a pronounced effect on the condition it is made for, as well as a lot of other things such as minor burns, scrapes, and wound drainage. It is designed to protect the skin of the baby from urine, diarrhea and perspiration; the main things that can lead to rashes in the area of skin it is in contact with. It consists of zinc oxide as one of the main ingredient; this compound works as a barrier against the moisture from the things excreted by the baby. It also has got menthol as the active ingredient; it is a well-known external analgesic and has antiseptic properties.
There are certain precautions with using this product. For example it is not suitable for use on deep open wounds; it is mostly for external use. It is also good to be careful not to get it into the eyes of your baby or your own, as it will cause irritation.